Sunday, July 4, 2010

6/30/10 and 7/1/10

7/1/10

I don't want to cry so easily
I don't want to shed tears
for sad songs and tragic endings
I want to be tough and hard
like Mitchum or Bogart
The guys who never show the pain
except for in their eyes
when the dame shoots 'em in the back
I don't want to cry so easily
not now, not any more
I want to save my tears up
to hold them like diamonds
gems amongst the gravel
They should be precious
Tears
So I don't want to cry so easily
except I will
because like love
Tears grow the more you give

Uncomplicated Joy/Independence Day, 6/30/10

Crash and bang
and children shout in pleasure
the uncomplicated joy
of illegal fireworks
It's always fun
until someone blows his hand off
And I feel a thousand miles
from anyplace I love
as another little bomb goes off
to the delight of the crowd
but I'd rather hear the rumbling roar of the ocean
and taste the salt on my tongue
than the gun powder smoke
For it's lost to me
the uncomplicated joy
of illegal fireworks

No comments:

Post a Comment